Orange County Brain Injury Lawyer
Pursuing Justice Through Brain Injury Claims in California
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is one of the most severe types of injuries that a victim can suffer as a result of someone else’s negligence. Brain injuries can lead to a decrease in an individual’s overall quality of life, and can affect them for years to come. Whether your brain injury was caused by a reckless driver, or because of a poorly maintained property, you may have grounds to pursue compensation for your injuries. The team at Harris Grombchevsky LLP has over 20 years of experience fighting on the behalf of injury victims like yourself. You don’t have to go through this difficult time alone.
Our Orange County traumatic brain injury attorney can help walk you through the process of pursuing just compensation for your injuries. Call (888) 427-8064 to get started with a free consultation.
On This Page:
- Types of Brain Injuries
- Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Common Causes of TBIs
- Traumatic Brain Injury Settlements
- How We Can Help
Brain injuries can be divided into two broad categories: open brain injuries and closed brain injuries. The main difference between these two types of brain injuries is whether or not the injury penetrated the skull. A closed head injury is when the skull is not penetrated, whereas an open injury means that the skull was penetrated during the incident.
Within these two categories, there are several different types of brain injuries that can occur:
Concussions are usually classified as a closed brain injury and can range from minor to severe. Concussions typically occur as a result of blunt force trauma to the head (for example, when your head slams against the window or dashboard during a car accident). They can also occur when you experience rapid acceleration or deceleration that causes your brain to move suddenly within your skull. Concussions usually result in a temporary loss of memory or bodily function. If you experience a severe concussion or multiple concussions, it can result in more long-term damage to your brain.
A hematoma refers to the pooling or clotting of blood in or around the brain as a result of ruptured blood vessels. When blood clots in your brain you’re at risk of suffering permanent brain damage as a result.
Edema refers to swelling around the brain. This type of injury can be dangerous because the skull is unable to stretch to accommodate brain swelling, which can lead to pressure on various parts of the brain and if not treated properly can cause permanent damage.
A hemorrhage is when there is uncontrolled bleeding in or around the brain. If untreated, build up of blood around the brain can increase pressure on the organ and lead to permanent damage.
Skull fractures are exactly what they sound like- a fracture (whether large or small) that occurs in the skull. These types of injuries can weaken the overall structure of your skull and may mean that future head injuries could cause more damage than if the skull were uncompromised.
Diffuse Axonal Injuries
This type of injury occurs when there is damage to the axon cells in your brain. They can become severed, which in turn can lead to a decrease in functionality. This type of injury, although hard to identify from the outside, can lead to permanent brain injury and even death if not treated immediately.
Some of the physical signs that your loved one may have suffered a brain injury include:
- If they go unconscious for any length of time (whether a few minutes or an hour)
- If one or both of their pupils are dilated
- If they aren’t able to wake up or stay awake
- If they have a persistent headache
- If they have experienced seizures or other types of convulsions
- If they have difficulty speaking clearly
- If they are experiencing dizziness or a loss of balance
- If they are nauseous or vomiting
- If they have clear fluid draining from their nose or ears
There are many more symptoms of brain injuries that you should watch out for. You can read more about these TBI symptoms on the Mayo Clinic website.
If you or a loved one have suffered a traumatic brain injury, our Orange County brain injury attorney is here to help fight for your just compensation. Call (888) 427-8064 today to discuss your situation in a free case evaluation.
Traumatic brain injuries can result from any number of accidents. Some of the most common accidents that lead to brain injuries include:
- Serious car accidents and other motor vehicle accidents including truck accidents and motorcycle accidents
- Slipping and falling on a wet floor or other icy surface, or falling off of a ladder
- Being hit by a vehicle while riding your bicycle
- Serious sport accidents, particularly in football and other full-contact sports
- Violent assaults or repeated physical abuse
No matter what type of accident led to your brain injury, if you suffered harm as a result of someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, you may have grounds to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against that responsible party.
While no amount of compensation can fully restore what you’ve lost, an injury settlement can help offset some of the financial strain you may be feeling as a result of your injuries. A typical brain injury settlement should cover the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses - This includes emergency surgeries, prescription medication, ongoing therapy and treatment, and more.
- Pain and suffering - Our brain injury lawyer in Orange County can argue for your right to receive compensation for any pain or suffering you experienced as a result of your injuries.
- Lost income - If your injuries prevented you from working for an extended period of time, or if they prevent you from returning to the same job you worked prior to your accident, you may have grounds to pursue compensation for lost wages (both past and future).
While there is no average settlement amount when it comes to brain injury lawsuits, the more severe your injuries are the higher your settlement will most likely be.
If you have suffered a traumatic brain injury in California, our brain injury attorney in Orange County is ready to fight for your right to compensation. You deserve justice, and our team has what it takes to get you maximum compensation for your injuries.
Don’t hesitate! Call Harris Grombchevsky today at (888) 427-8064 for a free initial consultation. You can also fill out our online contact form today. Our team of Orange County traumatic brain injury lawyers have over 20 years of experience and proven results!
Brain injury claims are serious matters that demand keen legal representation. If you have questions about brain injury lawsuits, contact the Orange County brain injury attorneys at Harris Grombchevsky LLP. We have represented the legal interests of Southern Californian's since for years and hold a solid reputation among attorneys and judges throughout the area.
Our Orange County brain injury attorneys possess extensive industry knowledge and are committed to the in-depth research it takes to provide our clients with the best possible results.